Mixed Berry Flapjacks Similar to getbuzzings Version

Every time I start off with a recipe I have the best intentions. Follow it to the letter check the measurements twice etc.

Something in my head goes how would x taste instead of y. Before I know it, x is in there instead of y. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. But I can use it to tweak the recipe next time.

Flapjacks, I started off with a Mary Berry's Fast Flap jack recipe as a starting point.

225gm Butter
225gm Demerara Sugar
275gm Rolled Oats
75gm Golden Syrup

Put the butter in the pan first followed by the sugar and golden syrup. This order helps stop the sugar burning as the butter should melt first. Slowly heat. Watch it like a hawk, stir to incorporate all ingredients and to stop it burning. You are just melting not cooking.

When fully melted pour in the oats and mix fully to coat the oats in buttery sugary goodness.

Then pour into an 12x9 (inches) oven proof dish or similar and level out using a fork. Push down a bit so it all sticks together well.
Cook for 40 minutes on gas mark 4 160℃ or until golden brown on top, take out and wait about 10 minutes and mark out final sizes of flapjacks, but do not cut them out yet, wait until cooler.
Enjoy with a nice cup of tea.
That's how it was supposed to go
I split the demerara in half and did half light brown and half dark brown.
Also reduced golden syrup to 50gm and put in 25gm of local honey.
This did work quite well but ended up being a bit runnier than expected. Which resulted in cooking taking a lot longer.

Take two
I had ordered some ingredients from Healthy Supplies, who I use for my seeds etc for bread.

I ordered
100gm freeze dried strawberries
100gm freeze dried raspberries
100gm freeze dried blueberries

So I had another go at flapjacks trying to get close to the getbuzzing mixed berry version I have eaten recently which are fantastic.

225gm Butter
225gm Light Brown Demerara Sugar
65gm Golden Syrup
10gm Honey
275gm Oats
10gm Freeze Dried Strawberries
10gm Freeze Dried Raspberries
10gm Freeze Dried Blueberries

Weigh out strawberries and cut into small chunks. Repeat with raspberries. Blueberries I left whole. Add all these to oats and mix in well.




Weigh out butter in saucepan first, then add sugar, honey and golden syrup on top. Melt slowly stirring frequently.

When fully melted add the oats and fruit mixture stir well to coat fully.

Pour mixture in oven proof dish level out with a fork.


Cook for 40 minutes at gas mark 4 160℃.
As above leave to cool for 10 minutes. Mark out sizes but leave in dish. Leave to cool. 


Remove and store in an air tight container with baking paper in between the layers. They taste best when fully cooled.


These seem to be very close to the getbuzzing mixed berry flapjacks.

So I will be making them again soon, as they are not lasting very long, might have to hide them away.  As having them next to the kettle means they are hard to ignore when having a nice cup of tea.

Comments